About Our Inn in Shepherdstown, West Virginia
The Thomas Shepherd Inn, providing gracious hospitality since 1984, was first built in 1868 as the parsonage for St. Peter’s Lutheran Church. This Federal-style building consisted of a parlor, dining room, kitchen and “three chambers”. The building served as parsonage until 1936, when it was sold for $6000 to Dr. Halvard Wanger and his wife, Dr. Sarah Elizabeth McFetridge. Drs. Wanger and McFetridge added the Duke Street section of the building to provide offices and exam rooms for their patients.
A plaque with their names remains on the Duke Street exterior wall. In the interior of the inn, a plaque with Dr. McFetridge’s name and specialty, anesthesiology, remains.
The property was purchased in 1983 from Dr. McFetridge’s estate by Ed and Carol Ringoot, who converted it to a gracious bed and breakfast inn, named after the town’s founder. The inn has operated continuously since 1984.
The current innkeepers, David and Lauren Duh, look forward to serving you and continuing to offer the gracious hospitality the Thomas Shepherd Inn has become known for. As with many innkeepers, Dave and Lauren have come from non-innkeeping backgrounds. Dave teaches high school chemistry and physics, but during his college years at Allegheny College he did work in the college kitchen/cafeteria. Lauren worked as a nurse for many years but fondly remembers her very first job serving breakfast in the Great Harbor Inn on Martha’s Vineyard. While they saw many beautiful inns in their search for a bed and breakfast to own and run, the Thomas Shepherd Inn and the town of Shepherdstown felt like home.